Curb Appeal and Your Property Value
Curb appeal has an important influence on property value. Curb Appeal is the first impression that is made about a property based on its appearance as viewed from simply from the curb. In other words, the first impression made from the most exterior points of the property. Curb appeal includes such details as yard maintenance, siding paint upkeep, windows, paved areas, and walkways entrances.
To maintain or better your home's curb appeal, a few easy steps can be taken:
- Keep lawn clean and free of debris and garbage. Also keep lawn become over grown as this makes the property appear sloppy. Keep shrub and weed growth under control. Keeping a garden as well as maintained trees and flowers can add to the character of a property. Your lawn is one of the first things people see when looking at your home. Lawn maintenance plays a major role in curb appeal
- Your home should be kept in good condition. Keeping painted siding from chipping and adding a new coat when needed makes the home look clean and well kept. It is good to keep light fixtures, any permanent fixtures, and windows in good repair. It is also important to keep gutters and visible drainage in good condition, not only for curb appeal but because drainage disrepair can lead to other major problems.
- Keep walkways and driveways in good condition, if a lot of potholes exist, it may be time to repave or add more stone.
- Make sure your property has clearly visible house numbers from the street. Also, do not keep inoperable vehicles on your property. Although it is not part of the property, it is influential on the overall character of the land. Keep fencing in good shape. The minor maintenance details that may seem unimportant really may play an important role in your homes curb appeal.
- Finally, make sure you obtain proper permits from the Town of Hounsfield Zoning Officer for any structural work you do on your property. The permit is to ensure that any repairs or structural changes that are being made are safe, legal, and an improvement to the property.
Keep your property value where it should be and keep your property in beautiful condition. It not only helps you as a homeowner but the community as a whole! Any questions please contact the Town of Hounsfield Zoning Officer at 315-775-7771 or check our website at www.townofhounsfield.ny.gov.